As a nonprofit, volunteers are critical to Tapestri's mission of serving immigrant and refugee survivors of human trafficking and domestic violence. We offer a wide variety of internship and volunteer opportunities. We consider the interests and skills of each candidate and match their interests with agency needs. We also offer flexibility by allowing volunteers/interns to complete their tasks from Tapestri’s office or at home.
Due to the sensitive nature of Tapestri's work, we take steps to protect our client's and staff's safety. These steps include asking all prospective volunteers to pass a criminal background check and to meet with our volunteer coordinator in person before being confirmed as a volunteer. Thank you for understanding the steps we take to maintain client and staff safety and confidentiality.
Tapestri is looking for volunteers to help with:
- Research & develop resources for survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking health, legal, and language needs
- Assist with community outreach presentations within immigrant & refugee communities;
- Conduct client surveys;
- Data entry;
- Assist with client direct services (after a minimum number of volunteer hours performed);
- Research updated information on domestic violence and human trafficking for training materials; and
- Assist our Development department with communications and fundraising opportunities.
If you have an interest in helping Tapestri, please submit the volunteer application below.
Once your application has been reviewed, Tapestri will contact you. Thank you for your interest!
A message from a Tapestri volunteer:
"Volunteering with Tapestri during these incredibly chaotic days of the pandemic has brought me a lot of joy and has given me a way to help others without having to leave my home. The staff at Tapestri have made it easy to get involved. I was a little bit nervous about tutoring people who have been through trauma. But, I have been wonderfully surprised by the genuine appreciation and gratitude from the women I have tutored.
Tutoring one on one has given me a chance to get to know each person and really tailor their language learning around the areas that will be useful in their day-to-day life. I find that we laugh a lot together and have become friends through me teaching them English.
I am so glad that I got connected with Tapestri and look forward every week to the hour I get to spend with the women I am tutoring. I am inspired by their determination to learn and their sense of humor and their gratefulness for someone being willing to help them."
To maintain the safety and confidentiality of Tapestri's clients and staff and to ensure that volunteers have a positive experience with Tapestri, we have certain requirements:
- Age: We welcome all volunteers ages 18 and above. We are able to work with volunteers between ages 14 and 17 if a parent or legal guardian accompanies them for their volunteer shifts. Unfortunately, we are unable to work with volunteers ages 13 and under at this time.
- Location: Most of our volunteer needs to take place during the workday in our office in Dekalb County, Georgia. Due to the current pandemic we have many remote projects that you can assist with!
- Free Background checks: To maintain our clients' safety, we do require all volunteers who serve at our office to undergo a background check and interview.